There are interventions that can be performed under local anesthesia and deep sedation: They do not require admission. They are ambulatory and the patient must be accompanied by someone.
For combined interventions or where the bone must be remodeled, the patient will stay overnight in the hospital (or in some exceptional cases more than one night) after the operation.
Relative rest is usually recommended during the first 48 hours after the intervention.
Returning to work can take from 7 to 14 days.
You will be able to start doing moderate sports activities after 8 to 10 days.
Patient must follow some rules for the treatment of surgical wounds after FFS surgery
- All surgical wounds can and should be washed with a saline solution (or mild soapy water) every 12h-24h. The wound should remain clean and dry.
- Sleep on your back in a reclined position (using 2 pillows) the first night.
- Cold compresses intermittently, every 10 minutes, during the first 24 hours, it is not necessary to do it during the night because it is preferable for the patient to rest well.
- Almost absolute rest during the first 24 hours (except to go to the bathroom) to avoid rising tension and bleeding.
- No sun exposure during the first postoperative week.
After the intervention, we have to keep in close touch with the patient and Dr. Macía gives a telephone number to all treated patients so that they can call after the intervention, send pictures of their progress or if they prefer, they can also write by WhatsApp.